The introduction of electricity made life a lot more convenient. In this day and age, homes have sophisticated electrical systems to provide power to lights, appliances, and electronics. But while residential electrical systems are a blessing, they can also be hazardous and potentially cause dangerous electrical fires or injuries. Continue reading to learn more about dealing with common electrical hazards in the home:

Faulty Wiring

Outdated or faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of house fires, so it is something to be concerned about. Faulty wiring can be due to the age of the electrical system, improper installation, or an overloaded system. One way to prevent a fire from happening is by having a licensed electrician inspect your home's electrical system to see if there are any problems or if your electrical system needs to be upgraded. If you live in a home that is more than a few decades old, you should have your electrical system inspected annually.

Using Light Bulbs that are the Wrong Wattage

Many people replace the light bulbs in their lighting fixtures without paying attention to the wattage of the replacement bulb, which is a big mistake. Using light bulbs that are a higher wattage than a lighting fixture is designed to handle can overload the wiring, which could potentially cause a fire. It is important to always check a lamp or lighting fixture to see what wattage it can handle and then buy the appropriate light bulbs.

Overloading Outlets and Power Strips

The outlets in a home are specifically designed to be able to handle a certain amount of energy. Power strips are a convenience that make it easier to plug in a few things in the same area. But, overloading an outlet and a power strip with several devices that draw a lot of power can quickly overload the power strip, the outlet, or both. If you choose to use power strips in your home, make sure that you buy one with an integrated circuit breaker that will cut power if it gets overloaded in order to prevent fires and damage to the outlet the power strip is plugged into.

Using Unsafe Appliances

Sometimes issues are not with your home's electrical system but an appliance itself. If the circuit breaker regularly trips while using an appliance, cease using it. The same goes for appliances that produce any smoke or a burning smell when in operation. In these situations, turn off the circuit in your electrical panel, then unplug the appliance and safely dispose of it. 

Speak with local electrical services if you have more questions about electrical hazards.

Share